Go see this movie. Right now. Like, leave work if you have to. And it might be better if you leave work and see it during the day because it is scary.
Daniel Kaluuya is incredible.
The write-up of this film is as follows from IMDB:
“A young African American man visits his European American girlfriend’s family estate where he learns that many of its residents, who are black, have gone missing, and he soon learns the horrible truth when another frantic African-American warns him to “get out”. He soon learns this is easier said than done.”
I think I would change some things and write it this way: “A young black man visit’s his white girlfriend’s family, and they are crazy. More craziness ensues.” I’m not big on scary movies in general — when I saw The Babadook, I had to stop watching because I was so scared I started hysterically crying. And trust, that is not an overstatement. My poor boyfriend never got to watch the rest.
Get Out is a genius piece of art. And yes, I call movies art. You can have your sculptures and watercolors, I’ll take my movies. Directed by Jordan Peele, the film is unique in that it’s absolutely terrifying but also hysterically funny. When horror movies try to be funny, it’s usually cliche and irritating. But Peele is possibly the funniest person ever, so it’s a perfect balance. And you get these really creepy scenes balanced with comic relief that does what it’s supposed to do — it gets your mind off the crazy for a second so your brain resets and you can take more crazy in.
The casting was absolute perfection. Daniel Kaluuya, who I first saw in Black Mirror, in an episode that I can still remember every detail of, is fantastic. He’s a twenty-something English actor, and I just read on Wikipedia that he was cast in Black Panther from Marvel that comes out next year. I want him to be in everything. He is able to convey a thousand emotions in his face, and a horror movie like this one needed that to show that the character is actually terrified. It was completely believable.
Josh Lyman, channeling Steve Jobs.
And then, there’s Bradley Whitford. Of course, known best as Josh Lyman from The West Wing, he is a great actor who I never would have thought to cast in a role like this but it worked. He has this snarky congeniality that really fit, especially because you knew he was a crazy person. The entire cast made this film work.
The movie dealt with race in a new way, especially for a horror film, and I won’t give anything away, but it’s not what you think. There was definitely a LOST moment with the Dharma Initiative-like video, at least I’d like to think so. Overall, two thumbs WAY up. Although I wish Key & Peele was still on the air, I want Jordan to keep making movies forever.
I decided that picking shorts was stupid because I’d never seen any of them, so I’m currently at 4/4, which is pretty good so far. Best Make-up: Star Trek!!! 5/5 and I am very happy because they definitely deserved it. It’s not like Avatar could have been nominated anyway, because it was all CGI. I’m thinking about not including Best Documentary either, because I haven’t seen those yet either. We will see. While they show the nominees for Best Adapted Screenplay, I want to say that Rachel McAdams has a gorgeous dress on. Precious won, which is cool, but I chose Up in the Air, so I’m at 5/6. He seems happy about it, so that’s nice. Best Supporting Actress… this should be an easy one… and the winner is… Mo’Nique! Yay! I am super happy about this one because she was amazing. She got a standing ovation too, which is neat – I would cry if Meryl Streep stood up for me. 6/7. Best Art Direction goes to… Avatar!! Hooray! 7/8. I am excited that they got that – not that there was any real contest...
When people use the phrase "cutting the cord" in reference to anything but childbirth, it makes me violently angry. Watching TV is not such a big problem that it requires you to cut anything to make your life livable again. TV is glorious and anyone who says anything else is wrong. That being said, I'm going to cancel cable as soon as I watch all of my recorded Olympics programming. And I'm not doing it to cut ties with society or to stop watching TV. It's just that 90% of the shows I watch are available on Hulu, Netflix, or CBS All Access anyway, so it's kind of pointless. But the phrase is the real problem. Without being overtly negative, the assumption is that I'm somehow tied down to my TV, which hasn't been true since before DVRs were invented. In fact, cancelling cable will tie me more to my TV because if I want to watch something and actually participate on Twitter, I have no choice but to watch it live - and actually live, not like I start wat...
I love having a new computer. I just bought a brand new one with a 23″ monitor, which is awesome and I am totally loving it. The best part is that it has a built-in app for Netflix’s instant queue, and it’s amazing! It’s nice to be able to watch movies and tv and stuff on a giant screen, especially when I feel like watching some stuff that my boyfriend hates… for example, Rock of Love and stuff like that. Which, of course, is what I’m watching right now. Predictable, I know. It’s hilarious! And I also think Bret Michaels is hilarious – I’m not sure why, but I like him even though his music is pretty bad and he has fake hair and is obnoxious. Anyway, hooray for a new computer!
Comments
Post a Comment