Klara and the Sun (by Kazuo Ishiguro)

Because I read so much, not every book is a home run. Some are tedious and others are predictable, equally devastating sins for fiction. Sometimes I choose the wrong books and don't challenge myself to read something different. Even more disappointing, I sometimes judge books by their titles and covers and think they're something else without reading the description. Shame on me.

My husband and I celebrate Jolabokaflod, an Icelandic tradition where you gift each other books on Christmas Eve, get in your pajamas, eat chocolate, and read. This past Christmas we had a 3-month-old baby at home and I didn't have time to choose books and my husband chose carefully from high-rated lists on Amazon, and he chose Klara and the Sun for me, and I am forever thankful.

It is rare to read a book that sticks with you and noodles around in your brain months later, and I believe that is the mark of successful fiction. Maybe it's shocking or sad or makes you think about things differently. I don't want to say much about the plot because I think this is a book that shouldn't be spoiled. Which isn't to say there are twists and turns that can be ruined, it's just a really good piece of fiction that deserves to be injested whole rather than in pieces.

If you look at my list of recently read fiction, you'll know I love a psychological thriller and also anything near-future and tech-based. This is sort of all those things while simultaneously being none of them. The story is from the point of view of a friend-style robot, but is written with grace and beautiful language that makes you care about Klara. I love when a book doesn't reveal it's secrets, like Klara doesn't know the truth about everything and neither does the reader. Getting to see behind the curtain can be a mistake if it spoils the story, and keeping out certain details here made the read more compelling as the reader wants to find out more but only as much as Klara can understand.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and would recommend it to anyone, everywhere. It was definitely one of the best books I read in 2021.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Every [by Dave Eggers]

You Love Me [by Caroline Kepnes]